Wednesday 21 December 2016

Solstice ... and the symbiosis of storytelling


Well, the solstice has arrived. The northern hemisphere can now look forward to the return of the sun. So, I guess it is time to make my regular (1st) solstice report.

Okay. Not With A Whisper: Producers is up at Amazon. Has been for several days now, but I didn’t want to put out two posts on top of each other. NWAW:P went live 4 days ago, and I have 4 sales. Hard to not feel good about that. Someone, somewhere is reading what I wrote -- or at least intending to.

And that's what it is all about. I believe that for a story to be told, you need both someone to tell the story, and someone to receive it. It becomes a symbiosis. As such, each of us reads a different story, though the words remain the same. For one, the story can have great meaning, for another little or no meaning.

That this occurs -- and the way it occurs -- continues to surprise me. A reader once wrote me that one of my stories had affected his life and a relationship in a certain way. Now, of all the things I expected of the story, this came pretty far down the list. In fact, I didn't see it coming at all. But, together, we created a story that he could use to help himself. I felt both gratified and humbled.

Humbled because although the reader gave me credit, the credit belonged equally to him or even more to him than to me. He took my words and used them to his own benefit. We all do this, I know, and I owe debts to many other authors myself, taking from their words things to help myself.

What anyone may take from NWAW:Producers, I know not. I hope that those who do read enjoy the story. If not, well, they can always return it and get their money back from Amazon ... and perhaps leave a review warning others of like mind away. That's okay. I know that some will find the story wanting, for no author can please everyone.(If you happen to read and enjoy it, consider leaving a review as well -- and maybe even mention it to a friend.)

Anyway, with the returning of the sun I hope that I can return to writing. I still have stories I wish to tell, and until someone else reads them, they can’t achieve their full measure, become true stories.

I wish you all a happy Solstice (Winter up north, Summer down south). May the coming year bring all that we desire – and not necessarily all that we deserve.

Live well, my friends.

4 comments:

  1. Read it, loved it. Read it again, still loved it! Eagerly awaiting your next story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Next story will likely be "Not With A Whimper: Destroyers", which follows some of the soldiers which we briefly met in "Producers". Hopefully it will be ready by the end of March.

      Delete
    2. Fantastic news!

      BTW, if you want to get this book more 'air time' and don't mind being introduced to a romance audience, you might like to visit veronicascott.wordpress.com - she's taken on the role of promoting new sfr/fantasy releases and any author is welcome to submit their book to be included in her weekly Wednesday post.

      Delete
    3. I don't think "Producers" really fits in the Romance genre at all. It would closer fit a Young Adult or New Adult subgenre of SF&F. "Trading for the Stars" would be a much better fit, but it's not a new release.

      I have written a Romance book under another name, so it's not as if I have anything against Romance. I did it partially as fun, partially as a dare, and with a lot of tongue in cheek. But I faithfully upheld the tropes of the genre and did have a lot of fun writing it.

      Delete